Matt founded the firm and assembled our team based on his belief that traditional law firms do not adequately serve the business community. Matt assembled a team of seasoned attorneys who focus on value above all. Indeed, the groundswell of entrepreneurs bringing new products and services to market has created a space for the unconventional practice of law. The bottom line is that the business landscape has changed dramatically – from the growing list of innovative businesses to the surge in non-traditional crowdfunding opportunities – the business world requires more than what the traditional law office can offer. This demand was the impetus for our flagship In-House Counsel Experience.
Matt began his legal career in New York City where he served as the Principal Law Clerk to a Supreme Court Justice in one of the busiest and most diverse jurisdictions in the world. There, Matt worked on a broad range of lawsuits involving breach of contract, piercing the corporate veil, trademark and trade secret protection, non-disclosure agreements and confidential information, covenants not to compete and other restrictive covenants, vicarious liability, personal injury, property damage, insurance coverage, and real property disputes and transactions. Matt was responsible for drafting proposed decisions and orders on all applications made to the court, including dispositive motions, emergency temporary restraining order applications and bench trials. Matt was also responsible for guiding parties through settlement negotiations in each stage of litigation. He was extremely effective in this role, and achieved great success in facilitating creative, amicable resolutions to disputes.
Most recently, Matt worked at one of the Capital District’s notable law firms where he focused on representing large, national and regional clients with a variety of business and litigation matters including highly complex commercial disputes, corporate governance matters and regulatory compliance. For more information about his work, please refer to the Representative Experience tab below. Matt credits his parents for fostering his uncompromising work ethic, loyalty and much of what he defines as success. And he credits (and thanks) his wife and kids for inspiring him to pursue his passion.
- Represent rapidly expanding software company as in a general counsel capacity on a variety of legal issues including contract drafting and negotiation, employment issues, real property issues and issues related to the StartUp New York program, among others.
- Represent successful, local software developer and engineering firm with employment related contractual issues.
- Represented owner of 15 regional approved wireless retail stores in a multimillion dollar sale of those stores to a nationwide entity.
- Represented software developer in drafting and negotiating a complex, multi-faceted software development agreement.
- Represent successful wealth management firm with respect to employment issues, management and operational issues and on a joint venture with a strategic partner.
- Represent Financial Advisor in ongoing FINRA Arbitration proceeding.
- Represent successful IT Company with respect to its service agreements.
- Represent several local entities that buy, sell and lease real property.
- Represent local developer on acquisition and development of vacant land to utilize as a nursery.
- Represent artists and entrepreneurs in the resolution of trademark infringement claims.
- Represent contractor in the purchase of commercial real estate.
- Represent downstate real estate developer on lien law matters.
- Represent successful local restaurant owner with respect to its complaints against a local contractor for breach of contract, failure to perform in a workmanlike manner and failure to obtain proper insurance and permits.
- Represent local contractor and businessman before the New York State Department of Tax and Finance as well as New York State Worker’s Compensation Board.
- Represent a variety of business owners on breach of contract and accounts stated claims and collections.
- Representing a large, regional waste service company in a lawsuit involving claims of theft of confidential business information and trade secrets, unfair competition, breach of duty of loyalty and good faith and fair dealing as well as breaches of restrictive covenants by pursuing novel and aggressive injunctive relief that resulted in an ongoing, confidential settlement agreement.
- Represented former owners of a highly successful scrap metal yard against the purchaser – an aggressive international conglomerate – that alleged the former owners were personally liable for environmental contamination based on the underlying contract, CERCLA and the oil spill law, which resulted in a mutually agreeable and confidential settlement agreement.
- Represented international land service company against a former employee alleging breach of contract, breach of the duty of loyalty and theft of corporate secrets that resulted in a confidential settlement.
- Worked with a team of attorneys on a very high-profile lawsuit against the Governor, the New York State Departments of Environmental Conservation and Health and their respective commissioners seeking to compel completion of the State Environmental Quality Review Act relative to high-volume hydraulic fracturing.
- Awarded summary judgment on behalf one of the nation’s largest natural gas producers relative to a lease dispute involving the free gas clause of the subject lease, which involved complex expert affidavits relative to the production capacity of the well, the target formation and production enhancement mechanisms used by the operator that were used by the judge in interpreting the language of the conditions precedent to provision of free gas.
- Obtained dismissal on procedural grounds for a national oil and gas operator relative to an attempt to nullify over twenty oil and gas leases based upon claims premised on the Statute of Frauds and General Obligations Law 15-304.
- Successfully argued on behalf of a national oil and gas operator on a case of first impression at the appellate level involving the attempt to circumvent the oil and gas lease’s arbitration clause by arguing that General Obligations Law 15-304 automatically cancelled the lease, which ultimately set favorable precedent for the industry.
- Represented client in easement prescription and/or necessity case, resulting in a favorable settlement that provided a recordable right-of-way.
- Part of legal team representing various natural gas operators in high-profile cases of first impression involving force majeure lease disputes that arose out of the ongoing moratorium in New York on high-volume hydraulic fracturing.
- Represented a national natural gas pipeline company on a complex, high-stakes construction contract dispute involving the interpretation of hundreds of invoices, change orders and the subject Master Service Agreement, together with several choice of law issues.
- Member of a legal team on behalf of a natural gas operator and landowner on cases of first impression involving the question of whether the Oil, Gas and Solutions Mining Law and Energy Law serve to preempt local zoning, which is currently pending before the New York State Court of Appeals.
- Counsels natural gas operators on a variety of compulsory integration, unitization and well spacing issues, and advocates clients’ positions to adversarial landowners or their attorneys.
- Representing natural gas operator relative to Road Use and Maintenance Agreements, local legislation and regulation of Road Use and Maintenance and address industry concerns through lobbying efforts.
- Represents national oil and gas operator in connection with landowner complaints made to the New York State Attorney General as well as complaints made to the firm through landowner attorneys.
- Represents one of the nation’s largest natural gas producers in litigation involving a variety of lease disputes, which often culminates in confidential settlements.
- Worked with legal team on a case involving spacing, compulsory integration and the three explicit options for uncontrolled owners set forth in ECL§ 23-901(3)(a).
- Part of a legal team representing an international commercial property developer on issues of liability relative to CERCLA and RCRA as well as the historic contracts between the predecessors-in-interest through arbitration, federal litigation and regulatory negotiations with the DEC.
Brian is an attorney, entrepreneur and business adviser. His practice is focused on corporate, transactional, securities and employment law. Brian is experienced in corporate transactions (US based and cross-border), commercial contracts, investment fund formation, debt and equity financings, inbound and outbound investments, transactional due diligence, securities law and regulatory compliance, corporate structuring, private placements, initial public offerings, public company filings, venture capital and private equity.
Additionally, Brian frequently litigates all types of matters, representing clients in civil, commercial, criminal, and administrative proceedings.
He serves as the Firm’s Emerging Ventures practice group leader. The practice group offers various legal services to entrepreneurs, start-ups, small business, angel investors, venture capitalists, hedge funds and large corporations. Prior to becoming an attorney, Brian was the Founder and Managing Director of eWired Auctions, LLC (d/b/a Auction by Touch), an online software and mobile application company; the Managing Director of In Vivo Capital, LLC, an angel investment fund; and a licensed real estate salesperson. For his work, he was named to the Albany Business Review’s “40 Under 40” list at the age of twenty-one. Brian started his legal career at a large law firm in Boston, MA. Subsequently, he worked as an Associate Counsel for the Civil Service Employees Association, Inc.
- Represents a cross-border wealth and estate planning group as outside general counsel with a focus on regulatory compliance and the navigation of legal issues in emerging markets.
- Represents a venture capital fund as outside general counsel, in all respects.
- Represents an online investment platform as outside general counsel with a focus on regulatory compliance for investment advisers and broker-dealers.
- Represents a web-based advertising platform as outside general counsel with a focus on mergers, acquisitions and employment matters.
- Represented a distressed real estate financing company in connection with a private placement, pursuant to Regulation D, Rule 506C of the Securities Act Of 1933.
- Represented an energy company in connection with a $5M private placement, pursuant to Regulation D, Rule 506C of the Securities Act Of 1933.
- Represented a FinTech company in connection with a private placement and all related compliance as well as general corporate matters.
- Acted as independent counsel to the board of directors of a large privately owned technology company in connection with a merger.
- Represented a hedge fund in connection with the structuring and negotiation of several joint ventures.
- Represented the seller in a secondary transaction in connection with a resale of common stock to a foreign purchaser.
- Represented an international company in connection with a Series B cross border private placement.
- Represented an individual investor in connection with various debt and equity investments in several technology companies.
- Represented a seed investment fund in connection with filings, fund documentation and the formation of a second fund ($15M+).
- Represented a mobile application company in connection with a cross-border seed financing.
- Represented a robotics company in connection with a domestic seed level financing.
- Represented the purchaser of a bar and restaurant in all aspects of the transaction, including conducting due diligence, negotiating the terms of the deal and filing all of the appropriate licensing applications.
- Defended a former employee of a national software company in a mult-million dollar federal lawsuit alleging theft of trade secrets, inter alia.
- Obtained a favorable order and subsequent affirmation of the initial order from the NYS Public Employment Relations Board in a matter relating to a Unit Placement/Unit Clarification petition filed on behalf of a bargaining unit, while employed by the bargaining unit’s employee organization / union.
- Brian received his Juris Doctorate in May 2009 from Albany Law School at Union University. He served on the Albany Law Review and attended Boston College Law School as a visiting student. While at Albany Law School, Brian was the recipient of the Saxton-Porter Scholarship and a Dean Thomas Sponsler Honors Teaching Fellowship. During law school, Brian worked as a Law Clerk for MVP Healthcare, the Capital District Physician’s Health Plan and for Boies, Schiller & Flexner.
- Brian received his B.A. from Union College in 2006, graduating with honors. He served as a Trustee of the Board of Trustees of the College and sat on the Board’s Finance Committee, which managed an endowment of approximately $250 million. Upon graduation, Brian received several awards including the Josephine Daggett Prize, the Alan Lake Chidsey Citizenship Award, the Calvin G. Schmidt Award, the Wendy Bernstein Award and the Meritorious Service Award. From 2006 to 2010, Brian served as the National Chair of the Young Alumni Fund for Union College.
- Brian is a member of the Upstate Venture Association of New York, an Associate member of the International Union of Police Associations, Inc., a volunteer patrolman for the Schenectady County Auxiliary Police (OEM), a devoted volunteer for the Ronald McDonald House and strong supporter of the Wounded Warrior Project.
- Brian and his wife reside in Albany, New York with their dog, Hunter.
Farrin focuses her practice on matters related to Real Property. Farrin represents clients at the closing of real property transactions, including buyers, sellers and lending institutions. Farrin is well versed in realtor disputes, quiet title actions, adverse possession claims, and residential and commercial leasing negotiations, drafting and dispute resolution.
Farrin began her career in the Real Estate Group of a prominent white shoe law firm in Manhattan. Her practice consisted of representing banks, private equity funds and other financial institutions in the structuring of commercial mortgage loans secured by various types of real estate, mezzanine loans and other loan vehicles. Farrin also worked on behalf of developers in acquiring and financing commercial properties. Farrin went on to work for a boutique litigation firm focused on litigating real property disputes, replevin and breach of contract matters.
Farrin has synergized her passion for real estate and her legal skill-set with her entrepreneurial spirit by becoming a licensed real estate agent where she has also achieved great success.
Albany Law School of Union University, J.D.
University of Conneticut, Bachelor of Arts
Eric is a corporate and securities law attorney. He is a member of the Firm’s Emerging Venture Law practice group. Eric focuses his practice on business, corporate, employment, real estate and securities law. He is well-versed in private placements and offerings, venture capital, private equity, financial regulation and compliance, corporate transactions, mergers and acquisitions, commercial contracts and commercial real estate.
Eric brings a unique perspective and set of skills as well as experience to the firm; his professional background is diverse and bears all the hallmark traits of an entrepreneur. In addition to working as an attorney with the Firm, he serves as the Chief Legal Officer of Unboxed Ideas LLC, a NYC based company that works with start-ups and entrepreneurs; the company primarily focuses on advising such individuals and companies with respect to go-to-market strategies, strategic marketing, growth hacking, business development, operations, financial modeling, cash flow management and product development, among other things.
Prior to joining the Firm, Eric worked as a private practice attorney in the greater Capital Region handling a variety of matters for clients of all sizes and worked at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in the Division of Corporation Finance for the Office of Small Business Policy, where he drafted small business compliance guides and directly assisted in providing entrepreneurs, businesses, and corporate attorneys with information on relevant securities law issues.
- Represented an issuer in connection with an intrastate public offering of common stock, including drafting the issuer’s prospectus and handling all federal and state filings.
- Represented a start-up company in connection with the creation and implementation of an incentive stock option plan.
- Represented a company in connection with a commercial real estate lease and general corporate matters.
- Acted as counsel to an employee of a start-up company in connection with a stock option agreement.
- B.A., State University of New York, College at Oneonta, 2007; graduated summa cum laude.
- J.D., Albany Law School, 2011; graduated magna cum laude with honors in business law and civil litigation. While in law school, Eric served as the Associate Editor as a member of Albany Law School’s Journal of Science & Technology. Upon graduation, he was inducted into the Justinian Society.
- LL.M, Georgetown University Law Center: Securities & Financial Regulation, 2012.
- New York
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association – Serves on the Business Law Section’s Small Issuers Committee as well as the Middle-Market and Small Business Committee
- Member, Board of Trustees, The Sara Marie School
- Member, Committee on Small Business Resources for the Chamber of Southern Saratoga County
- Member, Albany-Colonie Regional Chamber’s Tech Valley Young Professionals Network
Amanda Kukle, an associate attorney, represents an array of clients ranging from tech companies and contractors to commercial real estate developers and investors. She helps these clients with general business issues such as entity formation and developing appropriate governing documents (i.e., operating/partnership agreements or by-laws), company resolutions and buy-sell agreements. Amanda routinely drafts and edits contracts of all types – varying from master service agreements and software development agreements to employment related contracts such as non-compete and independent contractor agreements. Amanda also supports the Firm’s commercial litigation practice and is counted on to research and analyze discrete legal issues, draft pleadings and court correspondence, and make court appearances on behalf of the Firm’s clients.
Amanda also works on the Firm’s residential and commercial real estate matters. She drafts, reviews and revises commercial leases and lease assignments, and handles correspondence, including notices and demands, between landlords and tenants, makes court appearances, and acts as counsel at real estate closings.
Prior to joining the Firm, Amanda interned at the New York Office of the Attorney General as well as in the New York/Caribbean Superfund Branch of the EPA in the Region 3 office. Her prior legal experience includes civil litigation, contract drafting, working on environmental enforcement actions and foreclosures. Amanda graduated from Pace University Law School with honors and was a Law Trustees Merit Scholarship Award recipient during her tenure there. When she’s not going to bat for one of the Firm’s clients, she enjoys spending time outdoors and traveling.
- Amanda graduated cum laude from University of Massachusetts at Amherst in 2010 with a Bachelor of Science and a Certificate in Public Policy.
- Amanda graduated cum laude from Pace University School of Law in 2014, receiving a J.D. with a Certificate in Environmental Law. Upon graduation, Amanda received the Pro Bono Justice Award and earned a Certificate in Environmental Law.
- While in law school, Amanda served on the Pace Environmental Law Journal as a Senior Associate and received the Law Trustees Merit Scholarship three years in a row. She also held two fellowships – serving as the 2012 Charles H. Revson Law Student Public Interest Fellow and as the 2013 PILC Public Interest Summer Fellow.
- New Jersey
- New York (awaiting admission)